ART and File Preparation
The first step in constructing your vision is to send us your files. The preferred formats, in order of preference are: *.stl; *.sldprt.;*.x_t; *.igs; *.stp; and *.sat.
From these files, we generate a quote and prepare the data to begin the rapid prototyping process. Please note that other file formats may be used, but may require additional CAD translation.
The STL file, simply a mesh of triangles wrapped around a CAD model, is the industry standard for rapid prototyping.
How to Create STL Files
When saving STL files, each 3-D solid modeling program has a particular step-by-step process for creating the file. What you need to remember:
- Most programs provide a “save as” command, with the option to select the STL format.
- For quoting purposes, default settings suffice. However we may ask you to increase the resolution of the STL file for the actual prototype, to avoid “faceting.”
- In most cases, the higher the resolution, the better, however bear in mind that the highest resolutions may create unnecessarily large data files that are difficult to process.
- Send the file(s) using our Quotation Request Form
- Send the file(s) as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com
- FTP the file to us at ftp://www.artcorp.com/incoming. Downloads not permitted.
- Over night it or bring the file to us on a CD or Flash drive
Applied Rapid Technologies Corporation
1130 International Parkway, Suite 127
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22406
- Fax drawings to (540) 286-5252.